Born at Schwarzenbach-am-Wald, Bavaria. He studied at the Munich School of Music; was appointed a teacher of music at the Seminary at Bamberg and later was made musical director of the University of Heidelberg. In 1891 the Leipsic University conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, hon. causa. He composed chamber-music and choral works; the Grosses Halleluja of Klopstock, piano-pieces, and songs.