Bohemian violinist; born at Luditz. He studied at the Prague Conservatory from 1854 to 1861 under Kittl and Mildner. His first appointment was that of leader of the orchestra at Baden-Baden. He took up his resi- dence in Rotterdam, where from 1864 until 1877 he was teacher of violin at the Conservatory and conductor at the Opera and of the Society concerts. Joachim asked him in 1877 to succeeded Rappoldi as viola-player in the Joachim Quartet, so he went to Berlin. He was also made violinprofessor at the Royal High School there, in which position he has been very successful.