Distinguished German tenor singer and teacher; honorary director of the Court Opera at Vienna. He was born at Bilin, Bohemia; was working there in a sugar factory when his voice was discovered; he received training at the Prague Conservatory; at Brund had his first engagement; from 1856 to 1887 sang at the Court Opera, Vienna, where he was very highly esteemed; retired in 1887. Both as opera and concert singer he won fame; sang Manrico, Romeo, Philemon, Wilhelm Meister and other roles. In 1892 he became professor of singing at the Vienna Conservatory. Both Austrian and foreign orders have been conferred upon him.