Pianist and composer; born at Gross Tinz, near Liegnitz. He studied under A. W. Bach and Grell in Berlin and under Hesse and Seidel in Breslau. He taught piano in St. Petersburg from 1850 to 1855, then traveled extensively, playing in concert. He lived in Dresden from 1861 to 1865, when he went to Berlin to be professor at Stern's Conservatory. He had been made Royal musicdirector in 1862. In 1871 he went to New York, returning to Berlin two years later. He died at Eberswald. The most important of his compositions is the oratorio, Lazarus; others are quartets s trios and chamber-music, and many pieces for piano.