Pianist, conductor and professor; born at Gebweiler, Alsatia. After studying music with his parents he took lessons from Alkan in Paris and tat the Leipsic Conservatory from 1860 to 1862 under Moscheles, Richter and Hauptmann. For the next three years he directed the music at Taun; then having lived for two years at Hamburg with his brother Julius, he became conductor of the Societe de chant sacre and director of music at the Strasburg Cathedral. He resigned the former position in 1879. Eight years previous he had been made director of the Strasburg Conservatory, which position he has filled ably, being rewarded in 1892 by the title of Royal professor.