Pianist, violinist and teacher; born in Cassel, Germany. After studying under Hummel at Weimar he returned to his birthplace in 1837 and played second violin in Spohr's quartet. In 1838, however, he came to America, made his debut at New York in Hummers septet, and settled there. He immediately established himself as one of the leading teachers and concert-players in the city. He was one of the organizers of the old Philharmonic Society, founded in 1842, of which he became secretary, vicepresident, treasurer, and, in 1863, president, and he did good service for many years as musical editor of the music-publishing company of G. Schirmer. He died at Quoque, Long Island.