Violinist and orchestra conductor; born at Gratz, Styria. After violin instruction of Eduard Stolz he went to Vienna for further training under DessofT. In 1867 he became director of music at Lobe's Theatre in Breslau, and afterward held similar positions at Gratz, Wurzburg and Basel. In 1872 he became director of music at Berlin, after conducting Pollini's Italian Opera, and in 1873 he became Hof-Kapellmeister. He has since been made general director of music and Royal Court Councillor. He has written two overtures and some songs.