German composer, conductor and writer; born at Quedlinburg. He received his early instruction in violinplaying and in theory at Magdeburg, studying with A. Ritter. In 1866 he became concertmaster at Pawlowsk, near St. Petersburg; the following year was solo violinist of the Bilse Orchestra at Berlin, and from 1868 to 1871 was leader and first violinist of the quartet, formed by the four Schroder brothers. In 1874 he established a music school at Berlin, and since 1885 has been a member of the faculty at the Royal Academical Institute for church-music in Berlin. He has composed many etudes for the violin; much orchestral and chamber music and is besides, the author of many treatises and standard textbooks on string music and of a method for the violin.