Music teacher and conductor; was born at Schmatzhausen, near Landshut, Bavaria; was a pupil of his father and of Proske and Mettenleiter. In 1858 he became choral conductor of the Aula Scholastica in Ratisbon, where he also taught, remaining in this position until 1892. In 1865 he established a musical institute in Ratisbon, of which he was director up to 1882. He was especially interested in old German madrigals, and for the performance of these works composed by musicians of the Sixteenth Century formed the Madrigal Quartet. He also collected, edited and published a number of such compositions.