Monk, William Henry
Organist and musical director; born in London; received his musical training from Thomas Adams, J. A. Hamilton and G. A. Griesbach. After acting as organist in Eton Chapel, Pimlico, St. George's Chapel, Albemarle Street, and Portman Chapel, St. Marylebone, he became musical director at King's College, London, in 1847, and in 1849 was made organist. In 1874 he succeeded Hullah as professor of vocal music. He was appointed professor at the School for the Indigent Blind in 1851 and organist of St. Mathias, Stoke Newington in 1852, and also delivered lectures on music at the London Institution, Edinburgh, and the Royal Institution, Manchester. In 1876 he became a professor in the National Training School for Music and in 1878 he began to teach in Bedford College, London. He died in London. Beside his work as a teacher he was, for a while, editor of The Parish Choir and one of the editors of Hymns, Ancient and Modern, and he composed Te Deums; Kyries; anthems and other church-music.