Born at Ruhla, Thuringia. Organist and dramatic composer; he received his first instruction from his father. He studied composition in Gotha under A. Michel, later spending two years under Friedrich Schneider at Dessau. In 1841 he became director of the Court Theatre there, which position he held until 1851, then becoming chapelmaster of the town theatre of Mayence. He later resigned, and from 1864 conducted the Liedertafel of Mayence and the Ladies' Vocal Society connected with it; he retired in 1 891. As a composer his vocal music was excellent. His orchestra works were produced very successfully and he composed three operas, besides church-music and pianopieces.