Pianist and composer; born in Berlin. Here he studied first under Ludwig Berger, later entering the Royal Institute for Church-Music, where he was a pupil of Grell, A. W. Bach and Killitschgy, and where, in 1851, he became piano teacher. In 1868 the title of royal professor was conferred upon him. He successfully conducted concerts of chamber-music for many years, which did much for the advancement of classical music. He was much sought after as a teacher, and his thorough discipline brought his pupils up to a high plane of excellence. He has composed a great many quartets and sonatas, but is best known by his many piano studies.