German music-teacher, whose real name was Levy; born at Ludwigsburg in Wurtemberg. He received musical instruction from Tomaschek and D. Weber, at Prague. Having become established in Munich as pianist and teacher he, with Stark, Faiszt and others, founded the Stuttgart Conservatory in 1856. In 1873 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Tubingen. He published, with Stark, Grosse Klayierschule, which was translated into Italian, English, French and Russian; an edition of Clementi's Gradus ad Parnassum; and an instructive edition of piano classics. He died at Stuttgart.