German pianist. He was born in Berlin and studied pianoforte under Reinecke and theory under Paul in the Leipsic Conservatory, winning the Diploma of Honor. He taught in the Music School at Charkoff, Russia, from 1876 to 1880 and then returned to the Leipsic Conservatory, where he taught four years. In 1893 he was appointed to the directorship of a choral society for male voices at Cologne, and in 1896 went to Berlin to take the head professorship of piano-music. He has written some sonatas, studies, and four-hand pieces for this instrument.